MONGOLIA, Aug. 28 (UPI) — The Mongolian tourism authority canceled a tour to the country following a shark attack that killed a tourist in the region last month.
The Mongolian Government Tourism Organization said Thursday that the decision to cancel the Mongolian tour had been made following the shark attack in Mongolia’s northern coastal waters in early August.
The tourist, a 36-year-old Chinese national, was attacked on Aug. 7 by a shark in a protected area of the Togolese Sea.
He was flown to a hospital for treatment.
Mongolian officials said they will now focus on providing more information on the tourist and his recovery process.
The shark attack prompted Mongolian authorities to declare a shark zone along the Togo-Togolisee Highway in Togoland province, which borders the U.S. and France.