The UAE is planning to extend its tourism to Oman’s commercial hub of Muscat, despite a warning from the Omani tourism ministry.
The UAE announced on Monday it would be the first country to allow tourists into Muscat since January, as Omani authorities had previously ordered them to leave.
“We have not seen a drop in tourism,” said Ibrahim Ali Al-Qadhi, Oman’s tourism minister.
“And we have not heard any reason for cancelling it.”
But Oman’s Interior Ministry on Tuesday said it would cancel all of its permits for tourism in Muscat to prevent “dangerous people from entering” the city, which is home to several luxury hotels.
Omani tourism minister Mohammed bin Hamad al-Thani said on Tuesday the government was not interested in allowing “dangerously people to enter” the capital.
“No matter how much we want to see it, it’s not going to happen,” he said.
Omar al-Khouri, a journalist and former journalist, said that if Oman was going to allow people to visit the city it would have to make it clear to them that it was not open to foreigners.
“They should say to people, this is not open.
This is not for tourists.
This place is for people,” he told Al Jazeera.
Omen’s tourism ministry said on Monday that it had asked authorities in Muscovy, another tourist destination, to allow visitors into Muscato.
Olympic athletes and others are scheduled to take part in the 2016 Winter Olympics in Sochi in February.
Omran authorities have also announced a $200m programme to provide health services to local residents in Muscats tourism district, and to improve infrastructure in the city.
“This is not going away.
We are not going back to our old ways.
We need to protect our heritage,” Mr Khouri said.
“We will continue to work towards this goal.”
Omri tourists, who number around 30 million, make up a third of the UAE’s tourism sector.